PUT DOWN THAT SOY LATTE DOWN and READ THIS…
I hate to rain on anyone’s parade when it comes to dietary changes they are proud of, but I feel compelled to debunk the myth that soy is a healthy choice. If you are consuming processed soy products including SOY MILK and you think you are doing yourself a favor, please review the major problems with consuming soy and so you can make an educated decision…
TOP TEN REASONS TO AVOID SOY
- Soybeans contain large quantities of natural toxins or “antinutrients”. First among them are potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion.
- These inhibitors are not deactivated during cooking & processing. Test animals fed these inhibitors developed enlargement and pathological conditions of the pancreas, including cancer.
- Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together.
- 99% of soy is genetically modified and it among the highest contamination by pesticides of any of our foods.
- Soybeans are high in phytic acid, a substance that blocks the uptake of the essential minerals calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc, in the intestinal tract.
- Soy products contain high levels of aluminum, leached from the aluminum tanks in which they are acid washed and processed at high temperatures.
- Nitrites, which are potent carcinogens, are formed during the spray-drying of soy.
- Soy Protein Isolates, which are shown to enlarge the pancreas and thyroid and increase fatty acid deposits in the liver.
- Soy contains toxic isoflavones.
- Soy foods have a high concentration of goitrogens which block production of thyroid hormones.
For a full comprehensive piece on the dangers of soy check out this article by Sally Fallon & Mary G. Enig ph.D.
THE SILVER LINING OF SOY
Soy’s beneficial properties are only available when a specific mold is grown on the beans in a process called fermentation. Fermentation not only makes nutrients bio-available, it also destroys the toxins present in the beans. Fermented soy products include tempeh, miso, and natto.
BUT WHAT ABOUT TOFU??
The enzyme inhibitors concentrate in the soaking liquid rather than in the curd. Thus, in tofu growth depressants are reduced in quantity but not completely eliminated.’
WHAT IS A HEALTHY ALTERNATIVE TO SOY MILK?
Fresh almond milk. Here is a video that shows you exactly how to make almond milk at home. It’s easy, economical and a better environmental choice that the boxed varieties. If you do choose a boxed almond milk, the Pacific Natural Foods brand is better tasting (in my opinion) than the Almond Breeze varieties. Here is another video comparing fresh to boxed almond milk. It is worth the time & effort once you taste the difference.
Want more tips for transitioning to healthier eating on a budget?