Getting the glow is easy if you remember these simple skin basics NBC invited me to share.
Given the way news segments get rushed, we didn’t get to cover the 3 basics in detail, so here is the scoop for you along with the info on the Healthy Happy Hotties class where you’ll learn recipes to prevent wrinkles and have glowing skin.
High Blood Sugar is the Super Villain of beautiful skin. Eat meals that keep your blood sugar stable
- High blood sugar causes wrinkles by attaching to collagen fibers and forming cross links.
- Sugar prompts the release of insulin which causes inflammation which causes accelerated aging (case and point diabetics age 1/3 faster than the rest of us).
- It creates loads of free radicals that not only damage the skin, but also wreak havoc on the rest of the body
Fiber is the Skin-saving super hero! Find delicious ways to incorporate high fiber veggies & fruits.
- Fiber balances blood sugar, removes excess hormones & cholesterol.
- Veggies & fruits have powerful phytonutrients that act as antioxidants which fight free radicals and repair free radical damage.
- Veggies, especially leafy greens, contain alkalizing minerals that support the skin and overall environment of the body (often times skin problems are a sign that the body is overly acidic and unable to cope with the culprits).
Your skin needs quality building blocks and it is made of protein and fat! Upgrade your sources of protein and fats
- Make sure you are getting Omega 3 fatty acids, such as those from chia and flax. (You’ll learn recipes in class!)
- Enjoy plant based sources of protein that also offer the fiber and antioxidants.
- Your best animal sources of protein are fish, especially Alaskan Salmon (not Atlantic – which tend to be farmed fish fed GMO crops of corn and soy instead of the plankton and algae that should make salmon not only a clean source of protein, but also a source of essential fatty acids) and fresh, wild caught tuna.
Hydration helps maintain glowing skin. Drink LOTS of spring water.
- Your skin cannot be soft and plumped up without the essential element proper hydration.
- Water keeps your cells able to efficiently remove waste.
- Drinking plenty of water helps reduce inflammation (which causes premature aging).
- As a general rule of thumb, you can calculate (don’t worry fellow blondes its easy) the amount of water you need by taking your weight in
Skin is a reflection of your overall health. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- stress less
- exercise regularly
- get plenty of rest
Obviously there is a lot more you can do to prevent wrinkles, blemishes and skin conditions. You will get the full scoop in the Healthy Happy Hotties class on Getting The Glow. You’ll learn the ten ingredients you must avoid in your topical skin care. Amy Lathrop, an Doctor of Chinese Medicine reveals an Eastern alternative to botox that has benefits way beyond your face. Plus Dave Holtze, owner of the Organic Green Truck (which was featured on the Oprah Winfrey Network- whoop whoop) will show us how to make a plant based version of carnitas tacos that ROCK. There are two ways to join us…
Live at Cups Culinary this Saturday. Click here to reserve a seat ($55.00 includes one month access to Healthy Happy Hotties)
Or online at Healthy Happy Hotties anytime. Register ($26.80/month) to access all the monthly videos, lots of additional recipes, a skin safe workout video and expert help in kicking sugar addiction for good.
Every time I see an “as seen on TV” sticker I giggle to myself. Maybe its the cheese factor or the fact that it is supposed to be a deciding point for consumers. Here’s my chance to cheese out…